Baker Mansion – Blair County Historical Society
May 10-11, 2014
The Blair County Historical Society based in Altoona, Pennsylvania will be hosting its third annual WWII Living History Weekend in May 2014. It will be taking place in a community park-like setting, offering space for Allied and Axis Living History camps in addition to a few displays/activity tents. Baker Mansion is an 1849 Greek Revival mansion and will stand in for a French chateau for the skirmish scenario reenactments on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. In addition to Living History demonstrations, local veterans will be on hand to share their stories. Registration and museum admission is free for all reenactor participants. Authors/Presenters will be present throughout the weekend.
2014 schedule to be listed soon!
Promotional film for the 2013 event.
*A food vendor will be located on site both Saturday and Sunday. Multiple restaurants of various types are located within one mile of the site, some within walking distance. Various hotels are also located nearby, including an affordable Days Inn and Holiday Inn.
Directions to site:
1. Depart I-99 / US-220 / Bud Shuster Highway at Altoona, Pennsylvania.
2. At exit 32, take ramp right and follow signs for Frankstown Rd. - 0.4 mi.
3. Turn left onto Frankstown Rd. - 0.3 mi.
4. Turn right onto US-220 / PA-36 / Pleasant Valley Blvd, and then immediately turn left onto PA-36 / Union Ave - 0.8 mi.
5. Turn left onto Crescent Rd. - 0.1 mi.
6. Turn left onto Oak Lane - 137 ft. Look for sign with mansion on it by basketball courts
7. Arrive at 3419 Oak Lane, Altoona, PA 16602
8. The last intersection is Crescent Road. If you reach N. Logan Blvd, you've gone too far.
9. Look out for the Mansion Park Football Stadium. The mansion is right next door.
For Reenactors and Exhibitors: Once you arrive:
- Upon arrival to Baker Mansion, turn into the circular driveway in front of the house, parking on the right shoulder.
- Register at the information booth and sign necessary forms.
- Remain in parking space in circular driveway to unpack tents, gear, etc. to designated area. Once unpacked, park vehicle in northern corner of gravel parking lot along brick and iron fence along Oak Lane.
- Regular visitors will park in the gravel lot along Oak Lane.
- Confirmation of registration/waiver must be checked at information tent upon arrival before setup is permitted.
- Period politics are neither condoned nor tolerated, nor is the display of the Nazi Flag, Banners, or Arm Bands. Failure to abide by this policy will result in eviction from the event.
- Please note, due to space limits, we can only accommodate the first fifty living historians for each side portrayed. Thank you.
Reenactors: For complete reenactor information, photos, and registration materials please click HERE.